In The Ends

"We only want to be free. And as funny as it sounds it's all we want. To not have our egos bound with the rays of suns. Because man should be free as falling rain. To find what he loves even if it's pain" - The Growlers

Monday, May 01, 2006

Creating "Home"

On the wake of Pearl Jam releasing their latest album tomorrow and with plans in order to see the band in Vegas in July, here are lyrics to one of my favorite PJam songs. It probably isn't their best song, but is, in my opinion, one of their coolest. From what I have read, the lyrics speak to the times Eddie spent at Matt Lukin's house, a good friend of his who was also the bassist for Mudhoney, the band that basically started mainstream grunge music. In some ways, these lyrics remind me of the great times spent at JDs house throughout high school. JD has been faced with difficult issues related recently to a literal lack of home and over the years a "home" that probably felt, to him, anything but. But I think I speak for everyone when I say that his residence truly was our home away from home during those years, and I have always felt at home wherever he has lived; Naperville or Dekalb. I think it is a credit to him that he can create a "home" atmosphere in all the places he has lived; it was certainly not the easiest thing to do. At JDs everyone felt welcomed, comfortable, and could be themselves. "Now I know life's worth."

"Lukin"

Drive down the street can't find the keys to my own fucking home
I take a walk so I can curse my ass for being dumb
I make a right after the arches. . . stinking grease and bone
Stop at the supermarket. . . people stare like I'm a dog
I'm gone to Lukin's...
I gotta spot at Lukin's
Unlock the door at Lukin's. . . open the fridge
Now I know life's worth
I find the key but I return to find an open door
Some fucking freak who claims I fathered by rape, her own son
I find my wife. I call the cops. This day's work's never done.
The last I heard the freak was purchasing a fucking gun.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jay Davits said...

If I don't make it, I will always know that I had the greatest group of friends that one could possibly ever have. The things that I have experienced with you guys, along with the love of my life Andrea, makes me content with the possibility of my failure and my crash. It is in Gods hands!

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home