In The Ends

"We only want to be free. And as funny as it sounds it's all we want. To not have our egos bound with the rays of suns. Because man should be free as falling rain. To find what he loves even if it's pain" - The Growlers

Sunday, May 16, 2021

Jetski to Catalina

8+ years in the making.  Back around 2013 I watched a video on YT of a group of guys jetskiing to Catalina and dolphins swimming along with them.  Although Catalina is 30 miles off the coast, an hour by ferry and would require battling waves in open water, I was convinced based on the video that it was possible for an avg joe.

Park and I even spent a weekend going door-to-door in San Pedro & Long Beach harbors asking if any boat companies knew of jetski rental companies that would take us to Catalina.  All I could find was a random jetski company miles inland in Anaheim that said one of their college staffers might be down to take us, if we had a way to get the skis to the water via truck.  I came close to trying to lock it in, but ultimately it never came together.

Flash forward 8 years and I'm hiking with D & Bea in PV.  We're high up in the hills overlooking Catalina and I say out loud to myself "Someday I will find a company to rent me jetskis for Catalina".  Without skipping a beat, Bea says "My Spanish friends just did it."  

It was true!  Bea connected me to her friend and she confirmed there's a legit company who has been in business for a few years and run daily trips to Twin Harbors, Catalina.  Their site is jetski2catalina.com. Too obvious!

Park & Fede had always said they'd be in if the trip came together and they made it happen.  Was a pretty smooth ride on the way out.  Only rule is keeping 150 ft apart.  Took about 90 mins and saw about 40 dolphins near Catalina.  We had a few hours to relax at Twin Harbors and then it was another 90 mins back, the afternoon kicking up wind so it was 6/10 choppiness (per our guides).  We came back with sore necks, arms, legs and blisters on our hands, but it was exactly what I had hoped for.  

Pretty crazy this tour exists, daily, with no experience required.  Everything in life seems to get softer every year, but god bless the maniac running this tour company.

What's next?













0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home